The 2023 Gerry Mulligan’s Jazz Challenge Contest – OFFICIAL RULES
I. Sponsor: The 2023 Gerry Mulligan’s Jazz Challenge Contest (the “Contest”) is sponsored by The Gerry & Franca Mulligan Foundation, a Connecticut 501(C)(3) charitable foundation located at 2 Peach Hill Road, Darien, CT 06820 (“Sponsor”).
II. Contest Description: A performance competition in which contestants will compete to be selected as the top performers of a Gerry Mulligan composition entitled “42nd & Broadway” (“Repertoire”) as selected by a panel of judges. Contestants will be invited to submit video performances of themselves performing the Repertoire which will be voted on and rated by a panel of professional musicians.
The Contest submission period begins at 11:59 p.m. PDT on February 1, 2023 and ends at 11:59 p.m. PDT on March 27, 2023
The contest judging period begins on March 27, 2023, and ends on or about April 5, 2023. Eligible submissions will be reviewed by a panel of judges selected by the Sponsor and will be judged in accordance with these Official Rules.
One (1) grand prize winner will be selected; two (2) first-place winners will be selected, two (2) second-place prize winners will be selected, and five (5) runner-up prize winners will be selected. The winners will be publicly announced on April 6, 2023. The grand prize winner will win a Conn-Selmer saxophone. Cash prizes range from $500 – $100.
III. General Rules
- Candidates wishing to enter the Contest must do the following by the deadline given above.
- Submit the required Contest application information using this FORM
- Upload their YouTube video link on their entry form
- Candidates under the age of 16 must have parental consent to participate in the Contest. If you are under 16 years of age you must have your parents or legal manager read the Official Rules.
- Contestants must submit a video recording of themselves performing the Repertoire. The video image must show the performer’s hands, face, and body while playing. No editing is permitted.
- The candidate’s submission of his/her Contest application and video performance is considered the candidate and his/her parent’s or manager’s acceptance of the Official Rules.
- Sponsor will have the right to publish the winning performances on the www.gerrymulligan.org website.
- Only the winners will be contacted with the results.
IV. Qualifications for Contestants
- The Contest is open to all students in grades 9-12 in public, private and home schools within the USA.
- Only one entry per student.
- Providing false entry information is grounds for disqualification.
- Immediate family members of current Sponsor staff or board members are excluded from the competition.
V. Judging Criteria
1. Students will be judged by a panel of professional musicians on an overall 1-10 score on the following categories: Sound, Technique, Intonation & Presentation.