The 2022 Gerry’s Jazz Challenge Contest – OFFICIAL RULES
I. Sponsor: The 2022 Gerry’s Jazz Challenge Contest (the “Contest”) is sponsored by The Gerry & Franca Mulligan Foundation, a Connecticut 501(C)(3) charitable foundation located at 2 Peach Hill Road, Darien, CT 06829 (“Sponsor”).
II. Contest Description: A performance competition in which contestants will compete to be selected as the top performers of a Gerry Mulligan composition entitled Rocker (“Repertoire”) as selected by Sponsor. Contestants will be invited to submit video performances of themselves performing the Repertoire which will be voted on and rated by Sponsor. By participating in this Contest, each contestant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and to the decisions of Sponsor and the judges selected by Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters relating to the Contest.
The Contest submission period begins at 11:59 p.m. PDT on March 15, 2022, and ends at 11:59 p.m. PDT on April 30, 2022.
The Contest judging period begins on May 1, 2022, and ends on or about May 10, 2022. Eligible submissions will be reviewed by a panel of judges selected by the Sponsor and will be judged in accordance with these Official Rules.
Two (2) grand prize winners will be selected; three (3) second prize winners will be selected, and five (5) runner-up prize winners will be selected. The Winners will be publicly announced on or about May 15, 2021.
III. General Rules
- Candidates wishing to enter the Contest must do the following by the deadline given above.
- Submit the required application information using the official entry form.
- Upload their video submission to YouTube.
- Candidates under the age of 16 must have parental consent to participate in Contest. If you are under 16 years of age you must have your parents or legal manager read the Official Rules.
- Contestants must submit a video recording of themselves performing the Repertoire. The video image must show the performer’s hands while playing and be filmed with one camera and without edits during the performance.
- The candidate’s submission of his/her Contest application and video performance is considered the candidate and his/her parent’s or manager’s acceptance of the Official Rules.
- Sponsor will have the right to publish the winning performances on the www.gerrymulligan.com website and the Gerry Mulligan YouTube Channel.
- Only the winners will be contacted with the results.
IV. Qualifications for Contestants
- The Contest is open to all students in grades 9-12 in public, private and home schools within the USA.
- Only one entry per student.
- No individual having previously won the Contest will be eligible to compete.
- Providing false entry information is grounds for disqualification.
- Immediate family members of current Sponsor staff or board members are excluded from the competition.
V. Judging Criteria
- Students will be judged by a panel of professional musicians on an overall 1-10 score on the following categories: Sound, Technique, Intonation & Presentation.